Wednesday 18 June 2008

Old Town contrast

I'm back! Though I adore the buzz of London it's so nice to be back in Edinburgh, where the pace of life is so very different, the air so much cleaner and the commute so much easier!

This is a view from Chambers Street looking up towards the 'back' of the Royal Mile. I love the contrast between the white render and the old stone. The white building of flats is actually about ten stories high (this is only the top of it) and has its entrance on the Cowgate. Because of its steep hills, Edinburgh is very much a three-dimensional city, where buildings often have an entrance at different street levels - which can be very confusing when you're trying to read a map!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be quite different with so many entrances. Nice photograph.

MmeBenaut said...

Very interesting photo Dido. I like the contrast between the old and new roof lines. I prefer the old buildings though.