Sunday, 16 August 2009
William Hole Murals in St James's
Anyone who's ever visited the Scottish National Portrait Gallery will remember the beautiful murals and frieze painted by William Hole around 1900. Few, however, will know that Hole painted two equally fabulous murals in St James Church at Goldenacre, some years before his more famous commission. St James's , a red stone building on Inverleith Row, was Hole's own church, and he carried out the decorations as a favour to his own parish. Just as well he did, because this work later earned him the Portrait Gallery job!